Steps to Permanently Remove Files from Your Hard Drive Using CCleaner
- To erase files from your hard drive, the first thing you need to do is to download and install the CCleaner software. You can get a free version of CCleaner from the product’s official website. You can also purchase a premium version of CCleaner if you want.
- After completing the above mentioned task, you have to right-click on the ‘Recycle Bin’ icon and choose the ‘Open CCleaner’ option or click the ‘Start’ button and then click the ‘All Programs’ link. You will find CCleaner in your program folders; click it.
- You will see the Tools icon in the far left of the screen. Click on the ‘Tools’ icon. The Uninstall area of CCleaner will open up.
- You will see the ‘Drive Wiper’ option on the Tools menu; click it. Click the Wipe drop-down menu. You will find the ‘Entire Drive’ option; click it. You can remove all your files from your hard drive with the help of this option.
- Now click the Security drop-down menu. Click ‘Very Complex Overwrite’ from the Security drop-down menu. The function of Very Complex Overwrite is to prevent the recovery of deleted files. It wipes a drive 35 separate times so that the files contained on the drive cannot be recovered.
- Make sure to check the box next to the drive you want to delete permanently. Do not select your primary hard drive (C: drive); instead choose an external hard drive or USB flash drive. After selecting the drive you wish to remove; click the ‘Wipe’ button to start the deletion process. If you want to track the progress of the deletion process, then you need to use the progress bar on your screen. It’s important to remember that the speediness of the whole deletion process depends on two factors: speed of your computer and the size of your drive. Once the deletion process is completed, a pop-up window will appear on your screen notifying you of the completion of the assigned task.